If your toilet is slow to flush or has a weak flush, chances are there is a clog forming in your toilet drain. Similarly, other drains around your home will display symptoms before a plumbing nightmare occurs. Blocked toilets and clogged drains are two of the most common plumbing problems so we decided to write this post letting you know what to look for and how you can implement some simple preventative maintenance.
Are there foul smells coming from your clean toilet? Is the toilet flush weak or slow? If the answer is yes, it is highly likely a clog is forming in your toilet drain. If your toilet overflows when you flush, you need to contact a plumber straight away. However, if you catch the problem early, it is possible to prevent it from getting worse and ensure it doesn’t happen again. Our top toilet maintenance tips include:
- Don’t flush anything except toilet paper and waste down your toilet.
- Try not to flush huge wads of toilet paper.
- Teach children that a toilet is not a toy as well as what can and cannot be flushed.
- Avoid storing anything above or near the toilet in case they accidentally fall, or are knocked in.
- Plunge slow or weak flushes immediately before they become a problem.
The most obvious sign of a blocked drain is slow running water. Sinks and showers shouldn’t take longer than a couple of seconds to drain, and bathtubs should drain in a circular motion (this indicates the water is flowing continuously). Gurgling sounds and strange smells are also indicators that it’s time to call a plumber. The good news is that blocked drains are relatively easy to prevent. Try these simple tricks to keep your drains running freely:
- Hair is a common cause of blocked drains so try and avoid brushing your hair in the shower or over the sink.
- Don’t pour cooking oils down the drain. Drain them into a cardboard container and throw them in the bin.
- Put coffee grounds in the bin or use them for garden mulch.
- Hot water and baking soda is an effective and inexpensive drain cleaner. Try and run hot water down your drains after every use.
Looking for a plumber in Nowra? Healthy Plumbing is your local plumber with over 22 years of experience. We service services all of the Shoalhaven so get in touch with us today.